It was a Tuesday morning and I was busy cleaning the house when I received a phone call from Steve who was at work. He called and told me that his airplane delivery that was supposed to have lots of activity over the Memorial Day weekend had been pushed out. He then suggested that we get in the car and drive to Santa Cruz, California and join my family who would be camping. At first I thought he was crazy to even suggest it. I told him no way! There was too much to plan to make it happen. I hung up the phone and continued to clean. The more I thought about it the more I liked the idea of jumping in the car and heading off for an adventure. So I called Steve back and told him I wanted to go. The next 6 hours were filled with washing, packing, arranging someone to watch Kia and having Brooklyn find subs for work while she was gone. Everything was falling into place except Brooklyn finding subs. We had the car packed and everything done but at 8:30 that evening Brooklyn still hadn't found a sub. At 9:30 that night I got a text from Brooklyn at work saying she had just found someone to work for her! YAHOO!! We were going on a trip!


Tuna sandwich! Yum!

And Cheetos go perfect with tuna sandwiches!
It was a 15 hour drive to Santa Cruz but we love road trips and didn't mind it at all.


And Cheetos go perfect with tuna sandwiches!
It was a 15 hour drive to Santa Cruz but we love road trips and didn't mind it at all.

As is tradition at Santa Cruz, Steve jumped into a dumpster at a construction site to find us some firewood.

It was a lot of fun staying in my mom and dads campsite with them.
We have a beautiful travel trailer that has all the comforts of home but we weren't able to pull it with us. So we camped the old fashioned way...in a TENT! It was actually really fun. We enjoyed doing some of the cooking while we were there. 
It was a lot of fun staying in my mom and dads campsite with them.
We had yummy breakfasts everyday.
Brooklyn had a lot of fun with her cousins. Here she is playing Phase 10 with Jacob and Jacob's friend.
One night we drove into Santa Cruz and went to Maryanne's for ice cream. No...actually we went there two nights! It's the best ice cream!
Ice cream and cousins! Doesn't get much better then that!
Steve cooking us sour dough pancakes for breakfast.
We went to the beach every day. It was so fun to relax and enjoy the beautiful sights and sounds of the beach.
I am one happy girl when I can sit in the sun on a beach!
We loved watching all the seagulls and pelicans in the water.
Love those seaweed dreads Steve!
We enjoyed a couple nights of campfires with Alan's family. We also played a couple epic games of "Werewolf".
Alan showed us a funny game using a can of spray whip cream. You spray a ball of whip cream on the palm of your hand. And then you swing your left hand upwards and stop it suddenly with your right hand sending the whip cream high into the air and then you catch it in your mouth. This is where Steve's whip cream landed on his first try! Too funny!
Second try was much better! Such a funny game.
Brooklyn had a lot of fun spending time with Jacob and Matthew and their friends. We didn't see much of her while we were there.
As is tradition we went to the Boardwalk on Saturday night. We all got wrist bands so we could ride all the rides.
It was a gorgeous night.
The merry-go-round is one of the best ones ever with the rings you throw into the clowns mouth.
And a ride on the Giant Dipper roller coaster is a must!
Steve and I had a lot of fun at the Boardwalk.
Sunday morning we went to church with everyone. We only stayed for sacrament meeting then we hit the road to go home. We decided to leave on Sunday as we didn't want to hit the holiday traffic coming home on Monday. We drove straight through and got home around 3:00 a.m. We were exhausted but so glad we went. Sometimes those spontaneous trips are the funnest. Looking forward to many more trips to Santa Cruz to camp over Memorial Day weekend.




















No comments:
Post a Comment